Bulatom’s presentation delivered during the BEMF conference, held on January 12-13, 2023
BULATOM’S POSITION FORMULATES A VISION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF NUCLEAR ENERGY IN OUR COUNTRY IN SEVERAL AREAS
- Direction NP 1: Full utilization of the operating resource of blocks 5 and 6
- Maximum use of the operating resource of units 5 and 6 for their long-term operation in strict compliance with all safety requirements and in accordance with the existing license regime.
- Direction NP 2: Construction of a total of no less than 4 GW of new nuclear capacity in the period up to 2050.
- By 2025, a decision should be made in accordance with Art. 45 of the Law on the Safe Use of Nuclear Energy (ZBIYE) for the construction of a total of about 2,000 MW of new nuclear power with the aim of putting it into operation no later than 2035.
- By 2035, a decision should be made in accordance with Art. 45 of ZBIYAE for the construction of additional no less than 2000 MW of new nuclear power with the aim of commissioning no later than 2045.
- Direction NP 3: Creating prerequisites for the construction of small modular reactors after 2030.
- Goal: By 2030, to achieve readiness for the implementation of projects for the construction of MMR by providing regulatory capacity and other institutional support for interested local and foreign investors
- Direction NP 4: Interdisciplinary and interface activities
- To ensure the country’s energy security and to avoid Bulgaria becoming a net importer of electricity, the necessary new nuclear power plants should be built before the end of electricity production from fossil fuel power plants.